4 ozs butter
4 ozs sugar
8 ozs flour
4 tbsps golden syrup
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsps baking powder
2 tsps bicarbonate of soda
2 tsps mixed spice
3 tsps ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Sieve together the flour, salt, spices, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
2. Rub in the butter and add the sugar.
3. Spoon the syrup into a cup, stand in shallow water in a pan and heat gently until soft. Pour the liquid syrup on to the other ingredients and work in thoroughly.
4. Flour the hands and roll the mixture into small balls.
5. Place on a greased baking tray, well spaced out.
6. Bake at 400 f / 200c /Gas Mk 6, moving the biscuits from the top to the bottom shelf of the oven the moment they begin to brown.