450 gm Strong white flour
100 gm Soft margarine
15 gm Fresh yeast
1/2 tsp Salt
40 gm Caster sugar
280 gm Dried mixed fruit
1 pinch Saffron
1/2 cup Lukewarm mix of milk and water
1. Crumble saffron in a cup and pour on a couple of tablespoons of hot water.
2. Place flour in bowl and rub in margarine. Add rest of dry ingredients.
3. Make a well in the centre of the bowl and crumble yeast into it. Sprinkle one teaspoon of sugar on the yeast. Add a couple of tablespoons of warm milk and water mix. Then draw in mixture from the outside to cover the yeast. Cover with a damp cloth and leave for 10 minutes.
4. When the yeast starts to bubble, add cooled saffron and enough lukewarm milk and water to mix to a soft sticky dough. Put in a warm place, covered with damp cloth, until doubled in size.
5. Place tablespoons of mixture on baking tray, lined with parchment, and spacing well. Return to a warm place to allow to rise.
6. Bake in a hot oven (210C) for 10 minutes until nicely brown.