Image supplied by IntoCornwall.com
Par, a seaport village and a chapelry in St. Blazey and Tywardreath parishes, Cornwall.
The village stands on Tywardreath bay and on the Cornwall railway, 4¼ miles S S W of Lostwithiel; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office, designated Par Station, Cornwall.
The village started as a small group of houses below a cliff overlooking the mouth of the small River Par that was crossed by a ferry.
The harbour development saw the expansion of the village which split away from the parish of St Blaise to the north in the mid 19th century.In 1858 15,154 tons of china clay were shipped out of Par and by 2002 the port had 284 vessels per year which were loaded with 318,455 metric tons (313,425 long tons) of china clay, and 107 vessels loaded with 136,970 metric tons (134,810 long tons) of secondary aggregates for the building trade.